2 Samuel 16:9,11 - "Why should this dead dog curse my lord the king? Let me go over, I pray thee, and take off his head...let him alone, and let him curse; for the Lord hath bidden him."

Matthew 7:15 - “Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves.

Matthew 24:11 - “…and many false prophets will appear and deceive many people.”

Friday, April 20, 2012

William Thornton: "Blogging When There is a Personal Cost"

Readers - enjoying some down time from blogging this week, and thought as I rest a bit I would provide an article from William Thornton about myself and another blogger named David Montoya.

William Thornton is an SBC pastor, recently retired, who blogs as the "SBC Plodder". I became acquainted with William during the early days of my blogging when I was a regular reader of the Baptist Life forums, where William moderated the SBC News and Trends forum at Baptist Life. In the early days of my blogging, it was at the BL Forums, along with the New BBC Open Forum blog and Wade Burleson's blog, where I for the first time saw Christians engaging in honest discussions of problems in the SBC and evangelicalism.

I enjoy William's blog and recommend it to my readers. William is a conservative, but he doesn't worry about parroting the CR party-line on SBC matters. Behind Wade, William is my favorite SBC-pastor blogger.

I will resume my regular schedule of posting very soon, with an important announcement just around the corner. As I move beyond the legal battles of the last three years, I have quite a bit more to share of my experiences that will be of great interest to my readers. The Watchdog will be joining forces with another prominent SBC blogger, helping to ensure the FBC Jax Watchdog keeps going strong in being a watchdog of the powerful mega church pastors and their churches. Sorry, pastors, the FBC Jax Watchdog is about to go plural.

Below is William's article from his blog. He is right about the personal cost. I don't blog about that, but those close to me know the personal cost I and my family have paid in me not backing down when the screws were applied in 2008 and 2009. I am proud of what has been accomplished through this blog, and intend on it being an even greater force in the future.
Blogging When There is a Personal Cost, by William Thornton

There are hacker and plodder bloggers like me, folks who sometimes foolishly think everyone else might like to drink from their incredibly deep wells of wisdom, wit, and insight. Take these with a bit of skepticism and not always seriously.

Then there are a few bloggers who feel compelled to address what they see as genuine wrongs and serious issues in their churches or in denominational life and who do so at a considerable personal cost.

While I appreciate a number of others, I can only think of two whom I would classify as the latter: David Montoya and Tom Rich.

David Montoya is a pastor and is (or was) the Spiritual Samurai, an odd name for a Baptist blogger in Texas. I've written about him in the past. His ire and indignation over wrongs in the Baptist General Convention of Texas led to the open knowledge of an appalling scandal with BGCT missions money and also led to his being sued. He says he is quitting. I hope not.

David hasn't always been right about things and sometimes says things he has to retract but if not for him I doubt the BGCT valleygate scandal would have been uncovered. I'm not so sure that many SBCers in my lifetime have successfully brought to light such an important matter.

I admire him.

Tom Rich is a layman, the FBCJax Watchdog, one of the early church/pastor critic blogs and to date the most well-known of this genre.

Tom got stirred up by a pastor change at his church and some of the things associated with it and started blogging about it. As is well known, the church played hardball with him and his family, law enforcement got involved, lawsuits were filed and, only recently, finally settled.

I don't buy all of his stuff but his bull-doggedness probably changed the way high profile pastors (those with an ounce of sense which would be most but not all of them) look at some of their church critics. I admire him for not shutting up and going away when his former church ratcheted up the pressure on him.

Any yahoo can belt out their opinions on stuff but there are a few people who do so at considerable personal cost.

31 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the post Dawg. Glad to hear, you and your family, getting some much needed down time.
Be blessed brother, looking forward to your return.
Grace & Peace - Elder gab

Anonymous said...

I believe it cost Wade Burleson a lot to simply tell the truth and stand against some things in SBC life that were and are wrong.

Anonymous said...

Its a uphill battle against the High Tech Maga Church business where they have conferences that assist them in their ways.

http://www.churchitnetwork.com/spring2012/

Their not churches,

their a businesses

Anonymous said...

Blogging is done by liars.

"Religious" blogging is done by Pharisees.

This Blog is Satanic, evil, and has poisoned FBC Church.

Our Church has been hijacked by this Blog.

The Spirit of God has been chased out of the building by snakes like Dog.

There is not just a personal cost, there is a spiritual cost.

No one is getting saved at FBC anymore because of this blog.

FBC Jax Watchdog said...

That, my friends, is what a troll does. Do not feed the troll, please.

Anonymous said...

bloggers have no affect on salvation. People either accept or reject Jesus. Also, the Spirit og God doesn't reside in buildings but rather in the hearts of believers.You need to get a grasp on scripture and soon!!!

Anonymous said...

I believe it cost Wade Burleson a lot to simply tell the truth and stand against some things in SBC life that were and are wrong.

April 20, 2012 7:35 AM
___________________________________

Dawg - You and Wade have both paid prices for blogging, that is undeniable. But wasn't Wade specifically at odds with a select few members of the IMB Board of Trustees, including Debbie Brunson, who wanted him to stop blogging? Don't you find it strange that two of the three bloggers Thornton mentions, that have "paid alot" for blogging, involved Debbie Brunson not liking the content of their blogs? Or I may be way off on this? Can you comment on that or is it just a coincidence?

Anonymous said...

Chapter and verse for: "the power of the blog that stoppeth all salvation." Weirdo.

Anonymous said...

After several months, I have come to the conclusion that the TROLL is trying to be funny.

His comments are so over-the-top laughable that I believe that he is parodying those who disagree with Dog.

Well done, sir.

Ramesh said...

Watchdog will be joining forces with another prominent SBC blogger...

Could it be NASS (New BBC Open Forum)?

Anonymous said...

Any yahoo can belt out their opinions on stuff but there are a few people who do so at considerable personal cost.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

It is SO hard to be a blogger(:

It is SO painful to hate and be bitter and file lawsuits against preachers.

Pray for me...I am about to throw up.

New BBC Open Forum said...

Don't you find it strange that two of the three bloggers Thornton mentions, that have "paid alot" for blogging, involved Debbie Brunson not liking the content of their blogs? Or I may be way off on this?

We have a winner!

New BBC Open Forum said...

After several months, I have come to the conclusion that the TROLL is trying to be funny.

His comments are so over-the-top laughable that I believe that he is parodying those who disagree with Dog.


I reached that conclusion a long time ago. Besides, the idea that he might actually be serious is too scary to contemplate.

Anonymous said...

"It is SO painful to hate and be bitter and file lawsuits against preachers."

I think this is the way most people who question the powerful men in religion are portrayed. They are "haters," (whatever the heck that means.)

Then they are accused of the ultimate sin-bitterness.

Then, even if they've been wronged, they should not try to get justice or the record cleared by filing a lawsuit.

To me, answering someone's complaint this way (labeling them as hateful and bitter,) seems like a childish response and really has no meaning.

Anonymous said...

Whether it's blogging or sending emails or talking directly to someone who should listen objectively but won't, speaking the truth comes with a price.

Have your walking shoes ready if truth matters to you.

Julie Anne said...

If only anonymous troll had a clue: the time taken away from family, the interrupted sleep, the colossal amount of time of gathering information for the court, travel costs, $$ for filing fees, etc. I know. Tom and Wade have paved the way for bloggers like me. I am thankful for them. Tom's case especially gives me hope. It's not about us, it's about standing for the truth.

Anonymous said...

I was just imagining if you were wronged by a business, made your complaint, and their response was to call you hateful and bitter.

Makes religious people just look silly.

55 years a Baptist mostly SBC said...

It is like the following:

"Nya, Nya, Nya, Nah, Nah. You are bitter because the pastor dissed you in public for pointing out his excessive salary and miserable performance."

Anonymous said...

I can understand why the SBC is considering removing SOUTHERN out of its name. Another big article out of Los Angeles Times today about Richqrd Land, the Southern Baptist leader who offended so many with his comments.

I can understand why so many of us are leaving - these mega leaders have ruined the testimony of what the SBC once stood for. They need to retire!

Anonymous said...

I am thankful for the Holy Spirit.

God DOES NOT need bloggers to do His work.

His Spirit is here to rebuke, encourage, and instruct.

Where in the Bible does it tell us to "Blog"? Where does the Bible tell us to get involved in "Blogging"?

This whole thing is so unbiblical and is creating dissension.

James 4:11 shuts the door on this tool of Satan...Do not speak evil against one another, brothers. The one who speaks against a brother or judges his brother, speaks evil against the law and judges the law. But if you judge the law, you are not a doer of the law but a judge.

SHUT THIS BLOG DOWN!

FBC Jax Watchdog said...

DEFINITELY NOT SHUTTING THIS BLOG DOWN!!

Ramesh said...

Richard Land's story has gone national. What a way to go.

Church probes Baptist leader for possible plagiarism

Baptist Blogger Who Discovered Land Plagiarism Says Investigation Is "Unprecedented"

Anonymous said...

Ha! Where in the Bible does it say to advertise your church on tv? Have a person security guard for a pastor? Have commercials for your own church shown on gigantic screens each week? Have a choir sing every week in church service? Have the choir wear robes? Spend good money on hymnals that no one uses? Etc etc etc?

Anonymous said...

This blog would not exist if there was a channel for honest feedback, even critical feedback, at FBCJAX. Spiritual Samurai would be an obscure Texas pastor if his state baptist convention was open and transparent about the money they were spending.



William T

New BBC Open Forum said...

William,

Better watch out. You're using the same Blogger template as Watchdog now. That's why Hinson went after my personal information "for investigation of possible criminal activity" -- because Watchdog and I were using the same Blogger template at the time. At least that was Hinson's story.

Anonymous said...

what's wrong with being a community organizer? doesn't God want us to help people in our community? what's wrong with helping the poor and disenfranchised? i don't understand.

Anonymous said...

Just from the donkey's mouth

http://www.kewego.co.uk/video/e32067f69b2s.html

There are no bad preachers (or radio host)?

Only sins of the fathers in the church:

gossipers, those who run preachers off, for division, for fussing , for fighting, etc

Ramesh said...

I am afraid it is too late for anyone living in this country to worry about civil liberties. After 9/11, both the constitution and civil liberties have been shredded. I do not think the powers that are will relinquish their control in the next 100 years.

Glenn Greenwald > Surveillance State evils

Anonymous said...

"Christ constructed the local church"
per Ed Young.

I checked. Jesus didn't say a single word about the local church.

Anonymous said...

"there are a few people who do so at considerable personal cost."

What personal cost?

He got $50,000.00 richer from the citizens of his city and no telling what he received from the FBC insurance company that insures the church!!!

I think most of us would be happy to "suffer" such personal cost!!!!

Anonymous said...

"He got $50,000.00 richer from the citizens of his city and no telling what he received from the FBC insurance company that insures the church!!!"

That's because your pastor can't control himself!!!