The Watchdog is happy to report that finally, FBC Jax has an armor bearer for their pastor, Mac Brunson. Chad H. Smith, the new children's director who recently replaced Shelly Norman, has publicly pledged his love and devotion to his pastor on Twitter, and declared to pastor: "I am your armor bearer". Mac replied and accepted his new armor bearer's devotion by tweeting back to Armor Bearer Smith: "U R the best".
Doesn't all the love and devotion just bring a tear to your eye? It is so wonderful to see a grown man pledge his love to another man and declare himself to be his "armor bearer".
Now, those of you codgers like me who have been in Southern Baptist Convention churches for 25+ years probably haven't heard the term "armor bearer", or if you have you might not know what it means in the context of the modern church. Well, if you were trained in Old Testament history, you would know that "armor bearers" were the protectors of God's great warriors. They would risk their lives to protect the man of God from all attacks of the enemy. They were to attend to their every need. David was Saul's armor bearer for a time, for instance.
In more modern days, in some churches, armor bearers are those men selected in the church who pledge their devotion and protection to the pastor, the "the man of God". They are to love and protect and defend him and to make his advancement their number one concern.
Here is a job description of a pastor's armor bearer, by author Terry Nance from his book "God's Armor Bearer":
• Must provide strength for the leader
• Must have a deep-down sense of respect for the leader, and acceptance for and tolerance of, the leader’s personality and their way of doing things
• Must instinctively understand the leader’s thoughts
• Must walk in agreement with and submission to the leader
• Must make the advancement of the leader the most important goal
• Must possess endless strength so as to thrust, press and force their way onward without giving way under harsh treatment
• Must follow directives immediately and correctly
• Must be a support to the leader
• Must be an effective communicator
• Must have a disposition that will eagerly gain victories for the leader
• Must have the ability to minister strength and courage to the leader
Good luck to Chad as he serves as both Children's Pastor AND Armor Bearer to the Pastor. Maybe the kiddos at FBC Jax will be taught all about the importance of being an armor bearer to the man of God.
Can a breakout session on armor bearers be arranged for the upcoming Pastor's Conference?
By the way: Watchdog is now accepting applications for "Armor Bearer to the Watchdog".